The USA Hockey playing season runs from Sept. 1st through Aug. 31st of each year. Follow these steps to be ready for coaching in our upcoming season.
3. Add yourself as a Participant in your Crossbar account.
4. Add your USA Hockey Membership Number to your Participant in Crossbar. Do this by going to Account > Participants, then clicking on your own participant. In the Associations section, click +Add and choose USA Hockey in the Association dropdown. Enter your USA Hockey Membership Number and click Add Association.
6. Complete Background Check. This needs to be completed every 2 years. This is necessary to pass a criminal background check conducted by the club as required by USA Hockey.
7. Complete Safesport Training. This must be completed every year.
8. Complete Age-Specific Modules for the level you wish to coach: Mite (8U), Squirt, Pee Wee, Bantam.
9. Complete the next Coaching Education Program Clinic before Dec. 31. Level required does not correspond to the level you wish to coach. You will need to take the level after the expiring level by the expiration date.
- Level 1 – Required for first time coaches. Once you complete this level, you can coach at the Learn to Skate or Mite level even after the expiration date. You will only need to move on to Level 2 if you wish to coach at a level higher than Mites.
- Level 2 – Required after the Mite level of coaching and must be completed by 12/31 of the year you wish to coach in.
- Level 3 – Required prior to expiration of Level 2 certification. Once you have completed Level 3, you may take an online recertification up to 2 times before you are required to take Level 4.
- Level 4 & 5– Required prior to expiration of Level 3 certification, unless you take an online refresher option. This is the highest level of coaching clinics available. Once you have completed this level, your certification will no longer have an expiration date. (c) Effective in the 2022-23 season, Level 4 coaching certifications are valid for three (3) seasons, and Level 5 coaching certifications are valid for four (4) seasons, each as indicated by an expiration date. Before the expiration of their level, coaches must accumulate 5 credit hours of continuing education by attending USA Hockey continuing education offerings.
Note: To see what you need completed please login to USA Hockey under coaches profile login on the USA Hockey Website. Click My Profile > Coaching Information and see what you have green in color and verified. Anything in red still needs attention.
Registration for coaching clinics are simple AND ARE REIMBURSED BY THE ASSOCIATION (sorry, only the clinic is reimbursed, NOT mileage, meals, etc.,). To request reimbursement for coaching clinics, please fill out and submit a reimbursement request form. The reimbursement request form can be found here: